The Thing Is

*********
See the thing about the future is, that it's going to happen. Whether you like it or not, like the infant at home that looks like an angel while asleep, but you know, oh yes you do, that when it wakes up, there's going to be lots of wailing.

That's just how the future is, it is going to happen.

And in this great happening of the future that is underway, a lot of time gets spent in hoping that things go according to plan. But that's just the thing about plans, they're like rules. Not meant to happen. Plans are like the time table you may have made a little before every exam, breaking your day down into coupled hours of pure dedicated studies, those time tables that you may have spent so much time on, only to make sure it was neat, organized, and for some of us here, pretty looking too. That time table, that took over a nice proud place on your wall, made you feeling kicked at your awesome skills at not only nice looking time tables but man- the organization- par excellence.
And we all know what happened to the Time Table year after year, college after college until we finally got the courage to admit to ourselves, that there wasn't any point fooling ourselves any longer.

I have honestly lost focus of what I was trying to say here. Aye.

So the thing about the Future is, that it is going to happen. And regardless of how it turns out, I have come to love a simple little fact, that while some things are not in our control [like how this great and mysterious future (that has now taken the form of a very smokey, adrenaline junkie like Evel Knievel) turns out], what we CAN do is, give it all we got. I've heard it a lot before, but never really tried, because I took the liberty to assume that since "everybody's saying it" it must just be a fad :) Well no that's not true, I guess, the thing with giving something all you've got, is that it's a scary thought, because it could still lead to disappointment.
But here's what I'm thinking, you can never tell how much you should invest on something or someone, how much of your time, how much of your effort, you'll never know, but at least, you'll never wonder "What If".
"What If" is a real pain in the posterior when you can look at yourself in the mirror and say  "God damn you! YOU never tried enough! Now look what happened!"

So there's something that I've found that's got me thinking about the "giving it my all" bit.  And boy, am I trying. I don't know how it's going to go, and from the looks of it, I'm going to need a lot of time with friends and a lot of alcohol to get over this, but I'm giving it, and I'm giving it my all, just so I never have to wonder over quiet musings, "what if I had done a little more". And just so I can look at myself in the mirror and go "Babe... you got it down!"

Though I know I'm charging relentlessly for an abominable, apocalyptic-esque  failure, I chant my New Mantra in my very rusty Deutsch- zumindest werde ich nie Wunder, "was, wenn"
At Least I'll Never Wonder "What IF"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sure, why not, let me have it.